MAGPIE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN COMPLETED 2018, FUTURE EXPEDITION IN 2019 IS ALASKA.
MAGPIE RIVER IS ONE OF THE PINNACLE RIVER EXPEDITIONS IN THE WORLD. THE EXPEDITION WILL FLY INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE QUBEC WILDERNESS VIA FLOATPLANES OR HELICOPTERS AND PADDLE DOWN THE REMOTE SECTION OF WHITEWATER FOR 65 KM.
THIS TRIP IS BY NO MEANS EASY, IT INVOLVES LONG PORTAGES WITH GEAR AND BOATS, BIG STRETCHES OF FLAT WATER AND A WHOLE LOT OF BUGS BUT THIS IS A TRUE EXPEDITION IN EVERY SENSE. IT ALSO HAS SPECTACULAR WHITEWATER AND PRISTINE WILDERNESS. PARTICIPANTS WHO COMPLETE THIS EXPEDITION OFTEN MENTION THAT THIS IS BY FAR THEIR FAVOURITE TRIP EVER. IT REQUIRES PERSEVERANCE, PATIENCE AND HARD WORK TO GET THROUGH THIS TRIP.
RAFT SUPPORTED, EVERYONE INVOLVED WILL PLAY A LARGE PART IN GETTING THE GROUP THROUGH THE CLASS 3 AND 4 RAPIDS. THIS INCLUDES GUIDING THE RAFTS THROUGH THE MORE CHALLENGING SECTIONS VIA ROPE. HIKING GROUP GEAR AROUND LARGE RAPIDS, SETTING SAFETY FOR THE GROUP AND ASSISTING WITH COOKING AND CLEANING TO NAME JUST A FEW OF THE CHALLENGES INVOLVED IN AN EXPEDITION OF THIS SIZE.
THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST CHALLENGING EXPEDITION EXPLORE HAS TO OFFER, NO OTHER TRIP IS AS DEMANDING BUT ALSO AS REWARDING AS THE MAGPIE.
KILOMETERS OF EXPEDITION PADDLING
LIFE CHANGING ADVENTURE
Magpie Expedition Itinerary - 11 Days, 10 nights (subject to change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances)
Day 1 - Individual airport pickups in Quebec City and camping outside the city centre
Day 2 - Paddle the Tewksbury section of the Jacques Cartier River near Quebec City
- Drive to Tadoussac and camp for the night, some amazing coastal scenery along the journey.
Day 3 - Drive to Longue-point-de-Mingan, equipment pack-up, expedition briefing
- Dinner & camp for the night
Days 4 - Fly into Lake Magpie
- Start down the river, then camp after several class II & III rapids
Day 5 – 8 - Descend the Magpie river paddling great class III-IV whitewater
- Portage (or line) with equipment rafts three class V/V+ rapids
- At the end of day 8, we arrive and camp at ‘Magpie Gorge’, a spectacular series of class 6 rapids. This is one of the most amazing campsites anywhere.
Day 9 - Portage some rapids, hike up the side of the gorge to get a great view.
- Paddle a small lake to Magpie falls, then paddle final lake to our take out
- Camp in a village along the coast
Day 10 - Drive back to Quebec City
- Spend the night in shared accommodation (hotel or hostel)
Day 11 - Farewell and shuttles to the airport for your journey home